- Designing the Landscape
Designing and installing a new landscape, from concept to completion.
- Debunking Gardening Myths With Linda Chalker Scott
Author Linda Chalker-Scott talks about gardening myths.
- Growing Without Soil: Hydroponics
Shipping containers grow produce hydroponically; small-scale hydroponic gardens in New York; growing tomatoes hydroponically at home.
- Year-round Growing With Eliot Coleman
Eliot Coleman and Barbara Damrosch at Four Season Farm in Harborside, Maine, grow vegetables all year round.
- Compost, Compost Everywhere: How It's Made
A commercial facility converts yard waste and kitchen scraps into compost; Seattle Tilth teaches homeowners how to compost at home.
- The New Generation of Farmers: Thinking Big While Staying Small
Young farmers work to grow food in a sustainable manner.
- Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife With Native Plants
Gardening choices impact the diversity of wildlife in the U.S.
- Design Tips for a Small Space Garden
Small-space gardening; small gardens in the San Francisco area.
- The Truth About Organic Gardening
Dr. Jeff Gillman explores organic gardening.
- Four Farmers & a Bus: Sol Food
Four gardeners travel in a school bus powered by pure waste vegetable oil, teaching sustainable practices to communities across America.
- A Primer on Pruning
The five basic keys to pruning; selective pruning helps promote healthy plants.
- The Rodale Institute, Champions of Organic Gardening
Maria and Maya Rodale discuss organic gardening.
- Moss Is Boss
Moss is an eco-friendly plant that thrives in places where grass doesn't.
- Aquaponics: Raising Fish and Plants Together
Growing food and raising fish together; aquaponics kits; desktop gardens grow mushrooms.
- Practical Steps to a Weedless Garden
Dr. Lee Reich, horticulture professor and author, offers advice on growing strong landscapes with fewer weeds.
- Annie's Annuals: Preserving Horticultural Diversity
Annie's Annuals & Perennials grows plants that large operations have passed over; biodegradable plant labels, recycling and eco-friendly growing techniques; gazpacho with heirloom tomatoes.
- Bringing Bees Back
Creating safer habitats and environments for honeybees.
- Rooftop Farming in NYC
Two full-production one-acre organic farms on the rooftops of New York buildings.
- The Business of Urban Backyard Food Gardens
Young urban professionals grow their own food.
- Oh, Deer! Dealing With Garden Pests
Simple, low-cost deer barrier; natural and safe ways to repel common garden and landscape pests.
- Fan Favorites From 5 Years
Popular segments and stories from the past five years.
- Starting Seeds, A to Z
Starting seeds both inside and outside.
- Creating Certified Wildlife Habitats
Making landscape wilder; Certified Wildlife Habitat school with outdoor garden classrooms.
- Keeping Chickens 101
Introducing chickens to the yard; easy solution for housing a flock.
- How to Make Compost
Making compost and a do-it-yourself compost bin using recycled pallets.
- A Year in the Life of a Beginning Beekeeper
The first year of a new beekeeper includes installing thousands of bees in a proper hive.
- Blooms and Birds: A Gardener's Guide to Backyard Birding: Copake Falls, NY
Attracting and protecting birds in the backyard.
- A Year in the Life of a Beginning Beekeeper: Atlanta, GA
A beekeeping class; setting up a hive.
- Thomas Jefferson; Organic Gardening Pioneer: Monticello: Virginia
Thomas Jefferson's gardens at Monticello included ornamental and useful plants from around the world.
- Farmgirls: Seattle, WA
Women who strive to feed their families healthy, sustainable food.
- Farm School -- Learning to Be Organic Farmers
New England farm school.
- The Seed Farmer: Dr. John Navazio -- The Organic Seed Alliance: Port Townsend, WA
Dr. John Navazio, the Organic Seed Alliance, discusses seed stewardship.
- Winter Greenhouse School: Manhattan, NY
A public school in New York uses a rooftop greenhouse to teach sustainability and environmental stewardship.
- Hyper Local -- Heirloom Apples & Craft Beers: New Hampshire
An organic farmer sells 70 different varieties of heirloom apples; nano-brewery that only sources local grains, fruits and vegetables.
- Veteran Farmers: Jacksonville, FL
Veterans find jobs in organic farming.
- Rooftop Farm, Brooklyn, NY
A full production, organic rooftop farm in New York.
- Polyface Farms
Polyface Farms grows produce and raises food while being good stewards to the land at the same time.
- Making More Plants -- How to Propagate Anything, NC
Plant propagation for gardeners of any skill level.
- Independent Garden Centers: Austin, TX
Local, independently owned nurseries.
- Gardening in the Hood; Organic Gardening in an Urban World: Atlanta, GA
The Truly Living Well Center for Natural Urban Agriculture provides quality organic produce.
- Putting the Garden to Bed: Atlanta, GA
Putting a garden to bed.
- An Organic Farm Changing Lives: The Center for Discovery, Sullivan County, NY
The Center for Discovery offers programs for children with autism spectrum disorder.
- The Power of Worms
Home vermicomposting; commercial harvesting operation; touring a zero waste company.
- The Greening of Suburbia: Lake County, Illinois
Developers build self-contained communities around organic farms.
- Bountiful Harvest: Birmingham, AL
Capturing the harvest for use year-round.
- The Weekend Farmer; Beyond the Garden -- The Basics of Starting a Small Farm, Atlanta, GA
The basics of farming.
- In the Garden With Margaret Roach: New York
Margaret Roach, former senior executive for Martha Stewart, talks about how to grow more sustainably in the garden and in life.
- Container Gardening From A to Z: Atlanta, GA
Container gardening for large or small spaces.
- Setting Up a Garden: Atlanta, GA
Creating a large raised bed garden.
- Solitary Bees: The Unsung Heroes in the World of Pollinators: Atlanta, GA
The importance of solitary mason bees; raising solitary mason bees at home.
- Behind the Scenes With GGW: Atlanta, GA
A behind-the-scenes look at how 'Growing a Greener World' is made.
- Creating an Edible Fruit Garden: Atlanta, GA
Adding a wide assortment of fruit trees and shrubs to a backyard orchard.
- Putting the Garden to Bed (Atlanta)
Putting a garden to bed.
- The Four Seasons Garden (Harborside, ME)
Maine gardener Eliot Coleman discusses growing vegetables year-round, even in cold climates.
- Common Ground Fair (Unity, ME)
New England fair celebrates organic farming and rural living.
- Four Young Urban Farmers & Greenhouse Bus (Durham, NC, Boston, Seattle)
Four urban farmers travel cross country to teach children about organic gardening, growing fresh food and sustainable living.
- Mobile Truck Farms (Phil. PA, TX, NC)
Mobile farmers markets.
- Growing Power 2.0 (Milwaukee, Chicago)
Growing Power urban farm in Milwaukee.
- Victory Garden Movement -- The Peterson Project (Chicago)
A historical Chicago victory garden.
- Garden Myths 2.0 (Atlanta, GA)
- In the Garden With Margaret Roach (NY)
Former executive for Martha Stewart explains how to grow more sustainably in the garden and in life.
- The Dirt on Creating a Healthy Garden (Raleigh, NC)
A tour of a soil testing lab; U.S. Composting Council provides insight into creating the best foundation for a home garden.
- Sustainable Home (Atlanta)
Creating a sustainable environment inside the home.
- Greenhouses for Any Budget (Atlanta, VA)
- Backyard Beekeeping (Seattle, Atlanta)
The importance of bees and backyard beekeepers.
- Bountiful Harvest (Atlanta, Birmingham, AL)
Capturing the harvest for use year-round.
- Independent Garden Centers (TX, GA, NC, PA)
Local, independently-owned nurseries.
- Moss Gardens (Raleigh, NC)
Plants that need little water.
- Weedless Gardening (NY)
Growing food in a weedless garden.
- Rooftop Farming (NYC)
A rooftop garden in New York.
- Waterwise Gardening 2.0 (San Diego, CA)
Minimizing water usage in the garden.
- Organic Lawn Care (Potomac, MD)
Having a lush, green lawn without using synthetic chemicals.
- Setting Up Your Garden (Atlanta, GA)
Creating a raised bed garden.
- Trees Are Good (Atlanta, GA)
Starting plants from seed.
- Aquaponics (Oakland, CA & Milwaukee, WI)
Aquaponics, growing food with just water and fish.
- Organic Pest Control (Philadelphia, PA)
Various options of greenhouse growing; gardening year-round, even on a small budget.
- All About Seeds (Mount Airy, NC)
Starting plants from seeds.
- Greenhouse School (New York)
A New York public school uses a rooftop greenhouse to teach sustainability.
- Behind the Scenes With Growing a Greener World
Behind-the-scenes look at the series, including how topics and locations are chosen.
- Sol Mobile Bus (Various Cities Across America)
A group of young gardeners travel the country by bus, complete with a greenhouse, green roof and seeds, spreading the word about edible gardening.
- Independent Garden Centers -- A Gardener's Best Resource (Atlanta, GA)
Independent garden centers provide educational resources as well as ideas for plants for specific locations or regions.
- Small Space & Vertical Gardening (San Francisco, CA)
Small-space gardening, including vertical gardening.
- NYC Rooftop Gardens (New York, NY)
A one-acre rooftop farm in New York.
- Permaculture (Raleigh, NC & Americus, GA)
Permaculture incorporates organic gardening with agroforestry, integrated farming and ecology.
- Behind the Scenes of a Flower Show (Seattle, WA)
- Moss Gardens (Raleigh, NC)
Moss is an eco-friendly plant that needs little water and no fertilizers, clipping or mowing.
- Organic Flowers (Skagit Valley, WA)
Growing flowers without chemicals.
- Garden Coaching (Atlanta, GA)
Personal garden coaches.
- Heritage Breeds (Pittsboro, NC and Potomac, MD)
Heritage farm animals make a comeback.
- All About Seeds (Mt. Airy, NC)
Starting seeds at home.
- Just Because It's Organic (St. Paul, MN)
- Backyard Orchards (St. Louis, MO)
Gardeners grow fruit in addition to herbs and produce; backyard orchard without the use of pesticides or chemicals.
- Young Farmers (Atlanta, GA)
Young farmers are concerned for the environment.
- Backyard Chickens (Raleigh, NC)
Selecting and caring for chicks and adult chickens; housing options.
- Urban Gardening (Detroit, MI)
Urban gardens in Detroit provide an emotional boost in citizens.
- Schoolyard Wildlife Habitats (Atlanta, GA)
A school uses wildlife and outdoor classrooms to engage students in nature; creating a wildlife habitat in the backyard.
- Veteran Farmers (Jacksonville, FL)
Veterans returning home from war find jobs in organic farming.
- Backyard Composting: Winston Salem, N.C
Creating compost at home.
- Sustainable Agriculture: Swoope, Va.
Sustainable agriculture at Polyface Farms.
- Organic Lawn Care, Arlington, Va.
Making lawns beautiful organically.
- Farm School: Athol, Mass.
Learning to be an organic farmer.
- Sow True Seed: Ashville, N.C.
Preserving the integrity of heirloom seeds.
- The Dirt on Creating a Healthy Garden: Raleigh, N.C.
A tour of a soil testing lab and the U.S. Composting Council provides insight into creating the best foundation for a home garden.
- Winter Gardening: Harborside, Maine
Gardening expert Eliot Coleman talks about growing vegetables year-round in cold climates.
- Thomas Jefferson & Monticello -- A True Organic Gardener in Action
Historic preservation of the green gardens at Monticello.
- Composting in the Twenty-first Century
- Organic Seed Saving; More Important and Challenging Than Ever
Saving seeds and preserving true organic seed stock.
- Organic Pest Control
Finding and promoting natural predators in the garden.
- Back to School; Learning to Be an Organic Farmer
Indoor and outdoor wall gardens.
- Living Walls; A New Way to Make Great Neighbors
Donating the harvest to those less fortunate.
- Gardening for the Hungry; Easy Ways to Share the Bounty
The meaning of certified organic.
- Locavore Gardens and Landscapes
Small entrepreneurs need both space and knowledge to grow local.
- The Power of Worms; Natures Miracle for Healthy Gardens
Gardens provide protection from environmental hazards.
- Organic Flower Power; All the Beauty-None of the Chemicals
Growing flowers without using chemicals.
- The Edible Landscapes
Planting edible gardens that blend with front yard designs; Graham Kerr's front yard edible garden.
- Creating a Wildlife Friendly Garden
Attracting more desirable wildlife to the backyard.
- Small Space Gardening
Small space gardening, including vertical gardening.
- Young Farmers
Farmers work hard to grow food sustainably.
- The Wonder of Trees -- Four Seasons of Giving
Trees are important to a healthy planet.
- The Nature Island of Dominica
Dominica Island is listed as one of the top-10 eco-friendly tourist destinations.
- Raising Backyard Chickens
Selecting and caring for chicks and adult chickens.
- Critter Control; Effective Ways to Repel Wildlife Naturally
Keeping undesirable critters away from the garden.
- Gardening in a Waterwise Way
Maximizing a garden's beauty with less water.
- Dispelling Gardening Myths
Why some gardening myths don't work, and what to do instead.
- Growing Hydroponically; No Dirt Required
Growing fresh edibles without soil; window gardens.
- The Northwest Flower & Garden Show, Behind the Scenes of Making It Great
Creating display gardens.
- From Seed to Cellar, Living Homegrown Fresh
Gardeners raise their own food and livestock in their urban backyards.
- Greenhouses for Year-round Growing
- The Best Places of Season One
Memorable places and fan favorites from season one.
- The Best People of Season One
Viewer favorites from season one.
- Victory Gardens
Resurgence of victory gardens across America; growing a season's worth of vegetables for little money; sauteed Swiss chard frittata.
- Thomas Jefferson & Monticello -- A True Organic Gardener in Action
The history of the victory garden at the White House; creating one at home for $25.
- Natural Pest Control -- Discovering Eco-Friendly Solutions to an Old Problem
Biological control, using natural predators and insects to control pests.
- Organic Gardening -- Creating a Garden Ecosystem
Maria and Maya Rodale, Rodale Institute, discuss organic gardening.
- Green Roofs and Rooftop Gardens -- The Sky's the Limit
Rooftop garden at Chicago's city hall; implementing rooftop gardens at the home and office.
- Community Gardens -- Growing So Much More Than Plants
Rainbeau Ridge Farm includes an egg operation, organic vegetable gardens, a restored orchard, and world-renowned goat cheese.
- Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Programs
The oldest and largest certified organic CSA programs in New Jersey and Georgia; organic buyers club in New York.
- Waterwise Gardening -- Simple Solutions to Reduce Water Usage & Manage Runoff
The best ways to irrigate the garden; rain garden; drought-tolerant herbs add flavor to meals.
- Urban Farming at Greensgrow Farm
Irrigating a garden; preserving soil moisture; harvesting rainwater.
- Seed Savers Exchange -- Saving the Planet by Saving Seeds
The Seed Savers Exchange saves and shares heirloom seeds.
- Native Plants and Invasives & Certified Wildlife Habitats
Potential dangers of exotic plants; preventing spread of aggressive species; private native garden.
- Living Homegrown Fresh -- Raising Food & Livestock in Urban Backyards
Purchasing food produced close to home helps the environment.
- All About Pruning -- The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
Pruning trees and perennials shape the plant while promoting future growth.
- Recycling Horticulture Waste -- Making Better Choices One Pot at a Time
Companies make an effort to reduce the number of plastic plant containers that don't get recycled.
- The Power of Worms -- Vermicompost as an Organic Marvel
Home vermicomposting; commercial harvest operation; zero waste company creates a natural fertilizer.
- Farmer D -- A Young Man's Campaign to Lead by Example
Daron 'Farmer D' Joffe is the model for a more eco-conscious farmer.
- Annie's Annuals -- Preserving Heirlooms While Promoting the Environment
Annie's Annuals and Perennials, a small wholesale/retail nursery, specializes in heirloom plants.
- Fetzer: The Most Earth-Friendly Winery in America
Fetzer Vineyards in Hopland, Calif., won awards for quality wines and commitment to the environment.
- The Edible Schoolyard -- Using the Garden as the Classroom
A public middle school classroom is placed in a natural setting.
- Urban Beekeeping -- What's All the Buzz About?
A Seattle beekeeper sets up a backyard hive.
- Composting 101 and Beyond
Compost is full of primary nutrients and beneficial microorganisms plants need.
- Growing Power -- Will Allen's Story of Inspiration Through a Garden
Growing Power is a national nonprofit organization and land trust with a commitment to sustainable food systems.
- Phipps Conservatory -- The Greenest Conservatory in the World
The Phipps Conservatory is considered America's greenest garden and the greenest conservatory in the world.
- More Ways to Create an Eco-Friendly Landscape at Home
Conserving water; providing wildlife habitats; reducing air pollution; houseplants help clean indoor environments.
- Creating an Eco-Friendly Landscape From the Ground Up
Gardening in an earth-friendly way helps create healthier plants, tastier produce and a safer environment.
- ECHO -- Helping Underdeveloped Countries Grow Their Own Food
ECHO provides students and overseas development workers with agricultural skills and resources.